Saturday, June 6, 2009

These Bargains May Bankrupt Me


HONG KONG -- I haven't bought a suit yet! Shouldn't I buy a suit? Wait -- I'm going to be unemployed in three weeks. Who needs a new bespoke suit, no matter how cheap it is?

Breathe. Breathe.

Of course there are temples and other cultural landmarks. There's a skyline that's one of the most breathtaking in the world. And there are old-style neighborhoods that at first seem like the biggest Chinatown you've ever seen, until you realize that it's not Chinatown, it's actually China.

But a lot of Hong Kong is about shopping. Huge Prada-Tiffany's-Chanel stores. Guys on street corners trying to sell you "Rolexes." (And it does take an admirable level of chutzpah for them to do it right in front of a real Rolex store.) Vendors in the Jade Market bragging they have "real jade," and sounding as surprised about it as they should.

I have to admit the prices on my new little camera and my new sunglasses were pretty good, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment